MIDDLEBURGH

To inform entertain and excite my kids, Jamie, Patrick, Aaron & Sarah Middleburgh, our family and friends.

about me
photo of Dave Middleburgh
Hong Kong

blogspot visit counter
  powered by BLOGGER

MIDDLEBURGH THEATRE

Time for the annual culture infusion .. who said HK was a cultural desert !! The 39th Hong Kong Arts Festival is here!!

Every November when the program is published we (well me) subject it to a rigerous challenge process: ie If I could choose only one performance from this years events what would it be ? similarly if I could choose only 2 or 3 performances . Having shortlisted I then consider which dates work (who says I am not systematic!!) and this years budget.(who says I am a spendthrift!!)

I have taken to focus on one genre each year (simple) and this year it was "OPERA". It was a toss up between The Threepenny Opera (Brecht/Weill) or 108 Heroes.The latter was really tempting but an Opera about Mack the Knife was irresistable (actually the "3 pennies" was the compelling argument)

And since I didn't write it up, last year we did jazz and thoroughly enjoyed it. We saw "Nina Simone Remembered " . The performers included her daughter Simone (confusing isn't it) Keeper of the Flame), Grammy winner Patti Austin(My Baby Just cares For Me) , Dianne Reeves (Be My Husband) and Lizz Wright (I love you Porky).The linked music says it all!!

Now I don't want you going away with the idea that we only go to the theatre once a year. OH NO WE DON'T! This Christmas we also went to see Pirates of the Panto at the Cultural Centre in Wanchai. OH YES WE DID! . Whilst this was undoubtedly theatre it may not be considered as cultural by all. The audience demographics were a surprise. There was as expected a strong British contingent; lots of families (including fusion families) but also Canadians and Americans(No doubt regretting independence from the Empire ?). Now did we enjoy the show OH NO WE DIDN'T! In fact #3 (aged 2.5) walked out before the end of the show OH YES HE DID! . Clearly it wasn't working for him. This was not the case however when 3 days later we went to see Walking with Dinosaurs at the Hong Kong Expo Arena. Not only could #3 name the dinosaurs but he was up for more when it finished (He didn't quite master the standing ovation bit though)

Anyway back to this year. #3 graciously allowed us to go to the Arts Festival even though we didn't take him although he did have a case of buyers remorse requiring a pre curtain call to confirm that we would be coming home after the show. The Berliner Ensemble were excellent and why limit yourself to 2 languages when you can reach on 3 (German with English and Cantonese subtitles!). She (the wife) really enjoyed it and much to my surprise confided that she had thought the Russian opera 2 years ago was not to her taste (funnily enough Stalin didn't like it either).

|
 
| More