In 1958, after the "Munich Air Disaster" when 11players and staff were killed ,Manchester United recovered. And so shall we....
This week the staff canteen closed, saving the company the cost of it's subsidy and possibly improving employee health.
No longer shall I go downstairs to gaze in awe at the menu which listed such delights as "Beef and Fird Nobbles" (Beef and Fried Noddles), Pork Fids,Rice, Black Source (Pork Ribs) or Mixed Foods and Rice, (miscellaneous things near or past shelf life)
No longer the daily ritual where I ask the manager for "Set A", he counter proposed, I stick with A , he proposes an alternative,I threaten to leave. he concedes and I am served with something other than Set A.. Oh happy days.......
So the challenge now is to organise weekday lunches. Now it has to be said that in the past I have
- gone out for lunch which has the added benefit that I get some exercise. Unfortunately it's a killer if the weather is bad. Noel Coward was living in HK when he penned "Only mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun" He didn't mention the impact of monsoons or 99% humidity which leaves you drenched to bone within less than 20ft of building once you leave it for a stroll
- had lunch brought in (Shamrock Catering). Apart from limited selection albeit good you have to pre-order which doesn't sit well with the concept of choosing what you want when you want it but that also case with
- prepared lunch boxes; although I tend to be more emotionally involved if I have prepared a lunch box. The operative word being "I"as in me as opposed to my wife or our helper which is unlikely to happen (I know my place in the family priorities), It's not the preparation that's the problem but the planning, shopping etc and fact That I have a tendency to forget I made something last night and I leave it in fridge when I go to work).
- brought in microwavable prepared meals ... from M&S and Australian meat pies (The latter are good .. with more risk of skippy than dobbin )
But needs must when the devil drives so like Manchester we shall regroup rebuild and go forward. Need to organise
- list of all local catering establishments that would deliver ,get menus and sample in order to shortlist : (note to self: Work with departmental secretaries to manage daily ordering and negotiate special deals )
- List of all local catering establishments within walking distance, review and sample : (Note to self: work with departmental secretaries to set up bulletin board for recommendations/tips.Ask IS team to set upon line forum)
- Visit to City Super and M&S to check out current frozen meal options (Note to self: bring the thermal shopping bag)
- Plan healthy meals (with salad/fruit etc) for minimum 3 days week based round rice, Noddles ,Pasta, Potatoes and Pies (note to self: agree common menu with Jamie and negotiate delivery double portions with wife/helper)
In fact need to get on with this weeks lunches ... NOW !!!